The songs of Muro Box are stored in the music cloud library. You can edit a melody and play it on our app before sending it Muro Box. There are two things to check before you upload your music to our music cloud library.
(1) The formation of song needs to be MIDI.
Please make sure that your file is MIDI. What’s MIDI? When importing your MIDI file via our app, it will only read the first track, and the extra tracks will not be imported.
(2) The scale of your song needs to match with the comb of Muro Box.
According to the Music Instrument Digital Interface(MIDI), the scale of Muro Box is between C3 to A5 (C4-A6 in American standard), so it includes about 2.5 octaves. Please notice that the 20-note Muro Box uses a diatonic scale (not including sharp and flat).
(3) We set up the maximum duration/length per song is 30 minutes long to prevent your cell phone overload.
(4) Muro Box N20 can play as fast as 4 beats per second for the same note, which means consecutive eight notes at BPM 120. When there is any note that is faster than the above speed limitation, it will be skipped by our firmware so the Muro Box N20 will not play it. The basic unit of notes in Muro Box is eighth note (quaver). Muro Box allows 7 notes to be plucked at the same time as the maximum.
Although it is true that having no limitation on the speed is better, the decision of limit of 4 beats per second for the same note is due to many practical reasons. First of all, it is questionable that faster melody is suitable for a mechanical music box. Most of the familiar music box tunes are gentle and peaceful. To make a simple instrument like music box sounds not out of place in fast beat is a challenge for a music composer.
Next, to avoid a sharp clank sound for playing the same note in fast pace (the comb is still vibrating for the note beforehand, the consecutive note needs to stop the comb vibration before pluck the same note, otherwise they will collide and create noise), a soft damper is installed at the button side of the tip of the teeth. Due to the limit on space available, we cannot use wool felt fabric like piano does. What we do is we use chrome plated steel spring at the tip the teeth to absorb the vibration. We are doing much better than other existing music box mechanism, but it is still not as effective as the damper in piano. This unexpected clank sound will be noticeable if the melody goes faster.
Finally, the faster the motor spins, the louder the noise it produces. The motor and gear set both generate noise, and it is best to rotate at the just enough speed instead to run at the full speed. Thus, although our motor is capable of run at least twice as faster, we choose to limit at the current speed.
(5) If you wish to find a professional music arranger to help you create a customized melody for your Muro Box, please submit your request via this form.
(6) If you wish to buy Muro Box when we have an advanced version “Muro Box N40” (whose music range will be A3-C7, including flats and sharps), please sign up for our email for Muro Box N40 via this form. We will send you a monthly update to report our product development status and collect your feedback for our design.
Although we are pleased to know that many people have subscribed our newsletter of Muro Box N40, but we still hope that you will consider to buy the Muro Box N20 first for the following reasons:
- We have spent more than 4 years refining the quality of Muro Box N20. We are confident that most of our customers are satisfied with its sound quality and the rich melody collection in our app library. If you download our free app “Muro Box” from Google Play/App Store to play with it, you will be surprised that we have new melodies uploaded by many global users daily! Then, you can recognize the fact that even though Muro Box N20 has a diatonic scale, it already inspired so many users in creating their own melodies.
- The position of Muro Box N40 is the premium/luxury possession for music box collectors. The choices for its materials and production methods will focus on how to present the premium sound quality rather than how to lower cost for mass production. For example, Muro Box N40 will use 4 pieces of the comb (vibration plate) of Muro Box N20 so that there will be 80 teeth for 40 notes. The extra repetition was designed without considering how to lower its cost. Hence, its end user price will be at least 3 times of the Muro Box N20 because N40 will not be a mass-produced product. If your ideal Muro Box is not positioned as our N40, we still hope that you will support our N20 first.
- The music box industry has made no innovation for decades, and our company has invested abundant resources in developing the new product to better cater to modern users’ needs. We need your timely contribution to make our company strive for growth in this long product development journey. When the world’s economics still suffers from the influence of COVID-19, our team will need to prioritize our time on selling the Muro Box N20 before we can spend more time on developing Muro Box N40. Hence, we cannot promise that N40 will be able to start the pre-ordering campaign by the end of 2022 for now. We hope that you will consider supporting our N20 first so that we can survive despite the harshest challenge this year and present a perfect N40 in front of you sooner. Thank you for your waiting and support!